Chinese New Year 2016 | Sunderland BID

Chinese New Year 2016

Chinese New Year 2016

CHINESE New Year celebrations in Sunderland will return next year, following the success of the first ever large scale event.

Around 3000 people turned up to mark the Year of the Monkey in Sunderland’s Keel Square at the weekend (Feb 7) to enjoy a full programme of entertainment organised by local businessmen, Harry Collinson and Ian Wong. And Mr Collinson confirmed today that the feedback from the event had been so positive that the plan is to start almost immediately organising an even bigger event for 2017 – The Year of the Rooster.

“There was a few challenges with the weather but families still came out in force and had an amazing time,” he said. “Everyone entered into the spirit of the day and enjoyed the dragons and lion dancing and we’ve already been asked by lots of people if we are going to do it again next year – and we definitely will.” The event was sponsored by Sunderland BID and Chief Executive Ken Dunbar said it was fantastic to see so many families embracing the experience. “It was a brilliant event which brought lots of people into the city on Sunday and so also meant a great boost for retailers,” he said.

“We are delighted it was such a success and that the city got the opportunity to celebrate other cultures. “It’s great news that the plan is now to repeat the event on an even bigger scale next year.” “There is quite a large Chinese community in Sunderland, which is growing every year with the arrival of more Chinese students,” he said.

Harry Collinson, who heads up Rough Diamond Entertainment which co- created the event, said a number of people had already expressed their interest about taking part in the future. “There was such a positive atmosphere and it was amazing to see how passionate everyone was about taking part, “ he said.

Related News