We all want a city centre we can be proud of. Our aim is to strengthen pride, change perceptions and see to it that the city centre is a welcoming, safe, clean and attractive environment for businesses and visitors.
SR1 Street Rangers
As part of our new remit, we will provide friendly and resourceful Street Rangers who rapidly respond to cleaning and maintenance issues.
They will be:
- The ‘eyes and ears’ on the street
- respond to reports from businesses on issues that require urgent attention
- highly visible and engage with businesses on a daily basis
- provide information and another regular point of contact with the BID
Tackle Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour
We are working with Northumbria Police, The Bridges Shopping Centre and other businesses to reduce the amount of anti-social behaviour in the city centre.
Our aim is:
- to increase the visibility of authority on the streets
- develop a programme of initiatives to tackle crime
- continue to play an active role in Shopwatch and Pubwatch
- work collaboratively with groups on projects to deal with specific safety and security issues
Open for Business
We plan to continue to engage with agents, absent landlords, investors and other partners to bring empty spaces back to life.
- open the doors for more pop-up shops / offices / creative hubs
- look at innovative ways to improve the look and feel of tired and neglected buildings
We will continue to deliver dedicated cleaning and maintenance projects and promote a litter free city through our tidy-up initiative, Clean Sweep and targeted messaging on the bins.
- to build on our work by improving the look and feel of the city centre through additional floral displays and street art
- ensure the BID area is a pleasant environment to walk around and work in
- introduce initiatives to help reduce the problems caused by the high number of gulls in the city centre