Get ready for a summer of fun!
Keel Square will be host to our Pop-Up Park, with kid-friendly entertainment from 11 am to 3 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays all throughout the Summer Holidays! On Mondays, the young ones can enjoy the Fun in the SUN sessions, on Wednesdays will be the Sunderland "Taste" Experience, with cooking demos, grow-your-own sessions and other healthy-eating-inspired fun. Saturdays will host the Wake-up, Shake-up sessions, with super-fun, physical activities, sports games and other keep-fit entertainment.
Mon 8 Fun in the SUN with Red Sky Foundation
Wed 10 Sunderland "Taste" Experience with Back on the Map - Super Sunny Smoothies!
Sat 13 Wake up, Shake up with Nomad Flower Den - Flower Arranging
Mon 15 Fun in the SUN with Durham wildlife trust - Habitat trays and natural crafts
Wed 17 Sunderland "Taste" Experience with Chef Matei of PoshStreetFood - Cooking demos and tasters
Sat 20 Wake up, Shake up with DJ Jamal G & BeautiBeats - DJ tutorials and dance classes
Mon 22 Fun in the SUN with Club Zest - Boxcersize and keep fit games
Wed 24 Sunderland "Taste" Experience with Chef Matei of PoshStreetFood - Cooking demos and tasters
Sat 27 Wake up, Shake up with Betsy Jenny Wellbeing Cafe
Mon 29 Fun in the SUN with ArtVentures & Durham Wildlife Trust - Habitat trays and natural crafts
Wed 31 Sunderland "Taste" Experience with Chef Matei of PoshStreetFood - Cooking demos and tasters
Sat 3 Wake up, Shake up with Salsa Dance lessons
Our interactive, augmented reality trail returns with a "Jurassic Jungle" theme this summer! Look out for the dino eggs around the city and use the Sunderland Experience App to see the magical animations! Sunderland Experience app is available for free on Android and iOS, and you can access the AR trail, exclusive city centre offers and discounts, and details of all upcoming events.
Bridges Indoor Beach
Anchors away at the indoor beach, where little ones can enjoy a summer full of fun activities from 23rd July – 4th September.
- Saturday 23rd – 12:00pm to 2pm: Grand Opening event – Pirate themed party – where little ones can enjoy pirate crafts, walk the plank, row your boat, seaside games, pirate jokes, Pirate says, music, craft swords, hats and eye patches.
- Wednesday 27th – 12:00pm to 1:30om: Treasure hunt! Craft make and decorate your very own treasure chest, Pirate or Mermaid and win prizes at the end of the event.
- Wednesday 3rd – 12:00pm to 1:30pm: Litter picking at the beach. Make Sea Creatures with what you collect.
- Wednesday 10th – 12:00pm to 1:30pm: Arts and crafts! Seaside and sand crafting session. Decorate a bucket and a spade and take them home.
- Wednesday 17th – 12:00pm to 1:30pm: All things Pirates and Mermaids. A fun and interactive story session with tiara and hat-making craft.
- Wednesday 24th – 12:00pm to 1:30pm: Let’s go fishing! Go on an exciting Fish hunt, play catch a fish and make a fish wand.
- Wednesday 31st – 12:00pm to 1:30pm: Pirate picnic! Dress up as a pirate, princess or your favourite sea creature and bring along a picnic to enjoy with our Mermaid. Make mermaid necklaces, bracelets and a joy a day full of crafts.
- Saturday 3rd -12:00pm to 2:00pm: End of Summer Party! Seaside-themed party with games and visit from a special guest. Who will be?
You can visit the beach:
- Monday to Saturday from 9:30am – 4:30pm.
- Sundays 11:00am to 12:00pm – Quiet hour slots. Available only for children with autism and additional needs.
- Sundays 12:00pm – 4:30pm available to all children.
Age 8 and under. Children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Entry is £2 per child.
Please visit the customer service desk to purchase your entry ticket. Events are subject to capacity.
The Art Benches are back too! We love brightening up our city with these benches and it's all the better knowing that YOU have helped bring them to life! This year, we are celebrating 30 years of Sunderland being a City, so the benches will be painted to represent this. You can sign up to be involved in painting the benches with The Art Room Sunderland by clicking here
This year, an exciting new addition is a funky and fun Roller Rink on Keel Square! Get ready to boogie and zoom around with friends and family, all summer long! Look out for information on our themed sessions, such as: Learn to Skate, 70's & 80's discos, Special Educational Needs sessions and more. You can also meet some magical, fun characters throughout the summer, from fairies to princesses to clowns and more!